I think we’re all pretty familiar with carabiners. You don’t even have to be into rock climbing to have a few of these lying around that you take out when you go hiking or backpacking. I love these things and have them in different sizes, like most outdoor enthusiasts. But the Firebiner takes things to a whole new level. The guys over at Outdoor Element have taken one of the most utilized pieces of outdoor gear and actually improved it – but they need YOUR help to make this concept a reality. If you’re already intrigued, then just head right on over to their Kickstarter page now.
What Is The Firebiner?
Before breaking down all the details with you, let me just show you this thing in action. Check out the short video below to get a sample of what it can do. Or, skip down below for the longer video that gives you all the details.
The Firebiner Is Your Every Day Carry Survival Carabiner
Wouldn’t it be cool if someone took a carabiner, a multi-tool and a fire starter and combined them all into one compact little package? That, my friends, is what the Firebiner is. Just take a look at it’s features in the image below.
Looks pretty cool, eh? Here’s the full features list:
- Strong stainless steel construction with up to 50 lbs capacity expected (once production is complete they will have the final data on this)
- Extremely durable titanium coating
- Lightweight, only 1 oz
- EverSpark spark wheel technology to help start fires easily
- Replaceable ferro rod, with extra rods
- Utility/safety blade to easily cut paracord, fishing line, string and much more – stainless steel, replaceable
- Bottle opener, for refreshment time
- Hang slots to connect keys or anything else with an appropriate ring or clasp
- Strong, thin, stainless steel wire gate that stays closed but is easy to open when needed
- Screw-driver tip to be added on next round of prototypes
- Meets TSA requirements for airline travel
- 3 colors: Black, Gold & Blue
I’m not gonna lie, I really like this idea. It’s not only great for taking out on hikes, camping, etc., but I could see this being a good thing to keep in the car for emergencies. Since I live in Las Vegas, is it not uncommon during the winter months to hear about lots of people who get stranded up on Cajon Pass when they are making the drive between Las Vegas and California. Wouldn’t it be great if you had one of these in your car and could easily start a fire when you were stranded like that? And the cool thing about this is that the Firebiner has a replaceable ferro rod, so it will never stop making fire as long as you replace that when it is needed. It even comes with two replaceable rods.
Get To Know The Firebiner
If you want to see a bit of more of this badass carabiner in action, check it out in the video below. It gives you a pretty good idea of what you can do with one of these. If you’re like me, you’re ready to already have one of these in your hands for your next outdoor adventure.
Latest posts by Shawna Newman (see all)
- REI’s Gear Up, Get Out Sale: 13 Awesome Outdoor Gift Ideas [Our Top Picks] - November 15, 2019
- How Can I Strengthen My Legs For Cycling? - November 12, 2019
- Stay Dry With The Best Waterproof Hiking Pants For Women (2019-2020) - October 28, 2019