Pilates is mostly about being easy on your body.
It’s a low-impact exercise system designed with accessibility in mind.
But it’s also a serious core strengthener that can really put your muscles to the test.
If you’re looking for some motivation to give Pilates a try, we hope these inspirational and amusing quotes will give you a stretch in the right direction.
Inspirational Pilates Quotes
These motivational Pilates quotes capture the amazing benefits and gentle nature of Pilates as a fitness discipline.
- Pilates helps condition the body without punishing it. – Denise Austin
2. I don’t think I’ve ever been as humbled as I have been in Pilates. It’s incredible how much body control and how much isolated strength you have to have to complete these movements successfully. – Jake Arrieta
3. Nothing, literally nothing, makes me feel like I’m back to my body more than Pilates. – Kate Hudson
4. I’ve always had bad posture, and Pilates makes me feel taller and reminds me to keep my shoulders back. – Mandy Moore
5. I honestly think I’ve gotten taller since I started doing Pilates. And my posture is totally different – no more slouching! – Sarah Rafferty
6. I like that Pilates comprises the mind and body. It’s not just about being able to run around the block a few times. It’s about alleviating stress and controlling breathing. It’s about being balanced. – Aimee Mullins
7. I am lucky, I don’t have aches and pains. I do Pilates regularly, which is a series of stretching exercises, and I recommend it to anyone of my age because the temptation is not to exercise when you get older. Well, you should. – Ian McKellen
8. I do Pilates because it’s important for me to have a healthy back when I’m 70 so I’m not hunched over and in pain. That’s more important to me than being thin. – Cobie Smulders
9. My back was just destroyed after pregnancy. I almost had to have surgery, until I did Pilates and rebuilt my body. – Melissa McCarthy
10. I love how Pilates makes me feel, like it opens me up. I have the hardest time breathing, weirdly enough. Even when I have conversations, I need to work on my breathing, so it’s something I enjoy because it’s peaceful and it helps me relax. – Selena Gomez
11. The ‘All My Children’ studio was near Lincoln Center, and I used to see all the ballerinas and the dancers, and I thought, I don’t want to bulk up; I want to have long, lean, toned muscles. And I found out that through Pilates, you can achieve those strong, lean dancer muscles. – Susan Lucci
12. Because there’s no bouncing, jarring, or stress to your body, Pilates offers the ideal form of exercise for people who, because of joint pain or muscle weakness, shy away from exercise. – Denise Austin
Funny Pilates Quotes
These quotes bring the LOLs to Pilates.
13. I like doing Pilates because I get to lie down on the floor for the duration of the session. – Lily Donaldson
14. I started Pilates. I’m the only guy in there. They plot before I get there: ‘How can we make John look ridiculous?’ Because every exercise involved my legs up, like I’m in the stirrups or something. – John Stamos
15. Men and Pilates – it’s like the hardest thing on the planet to them! They’re not used to getting those muscles. Core and butt and stuff – they’re so confused. – Chrissy Teigen
16. Pilates is amazing. It makes you conscious of how you have been doing something incorrectly for so long, even something as simple as just standing there. – Jim James (It’s funny ‘cause it’s true.)
17. I work out, I go to Pilates, I walk and I eat everything I can get my hands on. – Sally Kellerman
18. I started doing Pilates when I was in my mid-40s. I thought it was called ‘pie-lattes’ because I didn’t hear anyone talk about it; I just read about it. – Susan Lucci
19. Now [after doing Pilates], I have muscles of steel and could easily deal with giving birth. – Hugh Grant
Famous Joseph Pilates Quotes
And, finally, the founder of Pilates. These are the Joseph Pilates quotes we think best capture the essence of Pilates as a fitness discipline.
20. A man is as young as his spinal column.
21. Before any real benefit can be derived from physical exercises, one must first learn how to breathe properly. Our very life depends on it.
22. Change happens through movement and movement heals.
23. When all your muscles are properly developed, you will, as a matter of course, perform your work with minimum effort and maximum pleasure.
24. A body freed from nervous tension and over-fatigue is the ideal shelter provided by nature for housing a well-balanced mind that is always fully capable of successfully meeting all of the complex problems of modern living.
Just getting started with Pilates? Check out our beginners guide – Getting Started With Pilates.