So, you’ve decided to make this the year that you try stand up paddle boarding and you’re shopping around for a SUP. But, the prices are bit more than you’d like to pay, so you might be wondering about buying used paddle boards.
Is it a good idea to buy a used stand up paddle board? What about inflatables – should you buy a used inflatable paddle board?
And where do you even start looking to buy used SUPs? We’re here to answer all of those questions, and more, to help you get on the water with a quality paddleboard.
Pros & Cons Of Used Stand Up Paddle Boards
If you like to make your decisions with a list of pro and cons, then you’re in luck. To help make your decision easier, we’ve broken down what we believe to be the advantage and disadvantages to used SUPs.
- Cheaper to buy used boards
- Great way to try out the sport without spending a lot
- You might be able to get a nicer board than if you paid full price for one
- You never really know how well taken care of the board was by the owner
- You might not find the ideal board this way
- With a limited market, sometimes the used cost isn’t that much of a deal
- It might not come with a paddle, so you’ll have an extra expense
- The board won’t have a warranty y
As you can see, there are slightly more disadvantages to advantages here, but depending on your needs the pros may outweigh the cons.
Honestly, we think that the best reason to buy a secondhand stand up paddle board is to score something high quality that you can’t really afford to buy brand new.
If you’re only shopping the used market because you want to score a sweet deal, then you might end up with a less than awesome SUP that’s just not fun to ride.
When Is It Okay To Buy A Used SUP?
If you are set on going after a used board instead of a new one, then there are some times when it makes sense (as well as some precautions you should take). Here’s when we think it’s a good idea to buy a used stand up paddle board.
You’re an experienced paddle boarder. If you’re not new to paddle boarding and you know all about the different types of SUPs and which is the best for you, then a used SUP may make sense.
You’re buying from a rental company. Often companies that offer SUP rentals end up selling those boards. So, if you’ve been out on one of their rental boards and really liked it, then you might be able to buy it from them.
This is usually pretty safe because rental companies buy high quality SUPs and they are knowledgeable sellers. Plus, if you’ve already been out on the water on the board, then you know that it’s a good option for you.
You’re buying a demo board. If you happen to have a paddle board shop in your local area, then you might be able to score a cheap deal on a demo model. This one of the best ways to get yourself a used stand up paddle board.
What To Look For When Buying A Used SUP
For the best results from your used board shopping, there are a few things that we think you should keep in mind as you shop.
- Know the specified weight of the board you are looking at. If the board is over weight…it could mean that it has taken on water.
- Check all blemishes or repairs…know what you are buying. Know what you are looking at.
- Check the fin and fin box…this can hold signs of what the board has been through.
Where To Buy Used Stand Up Paddle Boards
Okay, if you’re ready to buy your used board, then there are a few places that you can use to shop for one of these.
As you can see, there are lots of options available for you to find used stand up paddle boards. However, keep in mind that we strongly recommend new boards for most paddlers.