Stand up paddle boarding isn’t just for people who are fit and at their ideal weight. In fact, people of all sizes and weights can enjoy taking the SUP out on the water.
However, heavier people do have to shop for a SUP with a higher weight limit for the best experience. Fortunately, there are several great boards on the market that can accommodate overweight paddlers. Often, you have to buy a longer board, but there are a few short boards with high weight limits.
To help you more easily identify the high weight limit SUPs, we’ve compiled a list below that you can sort by paddle board weight limit. See our recommendations for the best SUPs for heavier people below.
- Top 15 Best SUPs for a Heavy Person 2018 - 2019
- Stand Up Paddle Boards For 400 lbs to 1,000 lbs
- Stand Up Paddle Boards For 300 lbs to 400 lbs
- Pau Hana Big EZ Angler 36″ Stand Up Paddle Board – 11′
- California Board Company Ten Six Classic SUP Package
- ISLE Airtech Inflatable Explorer Stand Up Paddle Board
- Tower Paddle Boards Adventurer Inflatable 9’10” SUP Review
- Pau Hana Calypso Stand Up Paddle Board with Paddle – 11′ 6″
- Red Paddle Co 12’6″ x 32″ VOYAGER RSS MSL Inflatable SUP
- Vilano Voyager Inflatable SUP
- Body Glove Mariner Inflatable Stand-Up Paddleboard
- Stand Up Paddle Boards For 200 lbs to 300 lbs
- ISLE Versa 10’5 Stand Up Paddle Board
- Outdoor Tuff SUP OTF-10326SUP Inflatable Paddle Board
- Pau Hana Oahu Woody Stand Up Paddle Board – 10′
- Pau Hana Malibu Classic Stand Up Paddle Board with Paddle – 10’6″
- Isle Cruiser 10’5 Soft Top Stand Up Paddle Board Review
- airSUP 12’6″x30″x6″ Inflatable SUP Review
- Shawna Newman
Top 15 Best SUPs for a Heavy Person 2018 - 2019
As you can see, there are quite a few good options out there for those of you who weight over 250 pounds. And yes, most of these SUPs are inflatables simply because they can handle more weight.
One thing to keep in mind as you shop for a new stand up paddle board is that you get better stability out on the water on boards that are thicker and wider. And often, people find that longer boards are easier for them to stand on (they longer boards are also great for using in the ocean for a bit of small waves surfing).
Most of the boards on the list above are all arounder SUPs, which means that they perform well in all types of water conditions. The racing boards tend to be designed to move you through the water faster, if that is important to you.
Stand Up Paddle Boards For 400 lbs to 1,000 lbs
If you’re a heavier person, or looking for a tandem SUP that can carry two people, then this is the weight limit category that you’ll want to pay attention to. We’ve found several great choices that will get you out on the water.
Isle Tandem 15 ft Megalodon Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board Review
This is the SUP with the largest weight limit at an amazing 1050 pounds! That is because it is designed to carry multiple paddlers at the same time for tandem paddle boarding. However, it can be used by a single person who is overweight and needs a board with a big weight capacity.
Of course, if one of the other boards on the list is a better fit for your weight limit, then you should go with it as this board might be too big for you otherwise.
This is an inflatable SUP, which means that it is easy to transport and travel with, as well as store when not in use since it rolls up to be about the size of a sleeping bag. It also comes with four paddles, which is nice to have if you want to take someone out on the water with you. It also comes with a pump, fins and carry handle. So, basically everything that you need to get out in the water when it arrives.
The Isle Megalodon iSUP is a great paddle board – very high quality construction and it performs well in the water. The board has an All Around design, which means that you can comfortably use it in any water conditions with good results. It features D rings and a bungee so that you can store a dry bag and other things.
All three fins can be removed, which makes it easy to transition from the ocean to the river and still have a great experience. You can even use this iSUP for fishing since it has so much room for your tackle box and a seat.
Tower Xplorer 14′ Inflatable SUP Review
If you weigh over 400 pounds, then the Tower Xplorer 14′ iSUP is probably the best choice for you out there right now. Tower Paddle Boards is known for making some of the best SUPs on the market and this model is a perfect example of that.
This board can support up to 700 pounds and comes with a pump and adjustable paddle. It has very high quality construction, so you can expect it to last you for several years to come. And, it has an affordable price for the money.
This is also an inflatable model, which means that you can roll it up to about the size of a sleeping bag when you’re not using it. That makes it easy to store out of the way or to transport with you.
The shape of this iSUP makes it perfect for racing and touring. It moves quickly through the water and is great for those long afternoons paddling. And since it is so long, there is enough space for you to take your dog or kid out there with you in the water.
Overall, this board is very stable in the water and a lot of fun to use. Plus, the quality is high and it’s made by one of the top brands when it comes to paddle boards. Definitely check this one out if you meet the weight limit requirements.
Red Paddle Co Voyager Tandem Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board – 15′
If you’re shopping for a really long SUP that is good for two people so you can get in a little tandem paddle boarding, then look no further than this model from Red Paddle Co.
We love that it’s made by one of the top brands in the industry that’s built a strong reputation for making high quality SUPs for people of all sizes and weight limits.
It performs like a hard board and ports everything but the kitchen sink, without sinking. Plus, it was awarded “Best Group Vessel” in Outside magazine’s 2018 Summer Buyer’s Guide.
- 700 lbs weight limit
- 8 in. thickness boosts board volume so it stays stable carrying you, a friend and your gear
- 7 soft touch carry handles; 2 luggage spaces with tie-downs to keep items secure
- Includes 15 ft. Voyager Tandem paddle board, Titan pump, HP pump, FCS Connect fin, repair kit, water-resistant phone case and All Terrain backpack
iROCKER All-Around Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board 11′ 6″
If you’re looking for something affordable that performs well with heavier riders, then this model from iRocker is a great choice to consider. In fact, based on value for the money, we think that this is the best inflatable SUP for heavy riders right now.
The iRocker 11’6″ All Round iSUP offer a lot of stability, whether it’s just one heavy rider or two smaller tandem riders. Either way, this high paddle board weight limit offers up a lot of opportunities for riders of all weights and sizes.
And if you’re looking to do some SUP surfing, then this board gets our recommendation as the best surf sup for big guys.
- 435 lbs weight limit
- Great for taller riders or multiple passengers.
- The 32” width makes for extra stability while the sporty shape of the board still allows for a fast-tracking experience.
- Includes high quality, adjustable, floating fiberglass paddle.
- Also comes with backpack carry bag, Full Throttle, Dual Chamber pump, 3 removable fins to adjust to water conditions, more rear D-rings and front cargo storage.
Stand Up Paddle Boards For 300 lbs to 400 lbs
Don’t need something capable of tandem paddle boarding adventures, but still durable enough to carry a heavy person over 300 pounds? We’ve got a few great options for you to choose from in this weight limit range.
Pau Hana Big EZ Angler 36″ Stand Up Paddle Board – 11′
Don’t let the model name fool you, this SUP is not exclusively for fishing (though you could do that on it, if you want to). Made by one of our favorite indie SUP brands, this wide stand up paddle board has plenty of room for families, or take it all up yourself if you need it for the high weight limit.
We love how high quality this SUP is, with a roomy 36 in. wide board that features Ricochet™ technology to help its fiberglass construction withstand contact with rocks, logs and other hard things that may come across its path. It’s a great choice if you want a hard body SUP, instead of an inflatable, to handle your higher weight capacity.
- 366 lbs weight limit
- Real teak deck
- Ideal for SUP fishing – 25 SeaMount™ attachment points let you screw in your gear; bolt down coolers, fishing rod holders, paddle clips, cups, tackle and Nocqua lights (not included)
- Broad planing hull is shaped to provide anglers the balance they need, while remaining easy to maneuver in shallow water without disrupting fish underneath
California Board Company Ten Six Classic SUP Package
If you’re on a budget and prefer a EPS foam core SUP instead of an inflatable, and you need it to support a higher weight limit, then take a look at this 10’6″ model from CBC.
CBC is known for making decent SUPs at affordable prices, and this model is no exception. It’s part of a package, which means free included accessories. Plus, it tracks well and supports a high weight limit. What’s not to like?
- 350 lbs weight limit
- Comes with fin, leash, and paddle.
- Has EPS foam core and it ultra lightweight at just 25 lbs
- Molded and secured handle makes it easy to carry
ISLE Airtech Inflatable Explorer Stand Up Paddle Board
If you want to go with an inflatable, then ISLE is one of the best brands in the business and this Airtech model is a great choice. It’s an 11-foot iSUP that you can take out in lots of different water conditions.
With an affordable cost for a package that includes several accessories, we think that this is a great deal if it meets your weight capacity and other paddling needs.
- 350 lbs weight limit
- Includes: Adjustable Carbon Shaft / Nylon Blade Paddle, Carry backpack, High Pressure Pump, Coil Leash, ISLE Sticker Pack & Manual, and Snap In Travel Fin
- Has extra gear storage for those who like to paddle off the beaten path
Tower Paddle Boards Adventurer Inflatable 9’10” SUP Review
If you prefer a good iSUP that is a short board, then your best choice is the Tower Adventurer. It is a great all arounder paddle board and it one of our top rated and best selling SUPs on the market right now. In fact, it’s hard to ind a better value for the money than this board right here.
The weight limit on this one is 350 pounds, which is the highest of any of 10-foot SUPs. This is probably my favorite iSUP of all time because it gives you the ultimate performance in all types of water conditions and it is very stable because it is 6-inches thick. It almost feels like a hard board!
- 350 lbs weight limit
- Very stable
- Part of a package, that includes the paddle + other accessories
Tower has only been making paddleboards for a couple of years now, but they have quickly emerged as the industry leader when it comes to the highest quality iSUPs at the best prices. If you buy this board, or any of the other Tower Paddle Boards models, then you are getting something that you know will last you for many years to come.
With this one, you get an adjustable paddle and a pump. I’ve already reviewed this awesome iSUP in the past, so if you want to read more about it, check out my review.
Pau Hana Calypso Stand Up Paddle Board with Paddle – 11′ 6″
If you can’t decide between a kayak and a SUP, then this Pau Hana option gives you the best of both worlds because it’s a SUP with a detachable seat!
This is a really unique option for heavier paddlers since it is part kayak, and part stand up paddle board thanks the seat attachment. The Pau Hana Calypso lets you explore the water in a variety of ways, and features a window to the world below.
If you enjoy fishing, then you’ll also notice that this board is the ideal setup for doing a little paddle board fishing – either sitting or standing!
- 338 lbs weight limit
- Seat attachment transforms this SUP into a sit-on-top kayak
- Large deck window lets you peer below the surface of the water
- Comes with a built-in 5mm bungee for securing items, plus reinforced D-ring attachment points for securing other accessories and gear
- Ideal for fishing
- Includes Pau Hana convertible SUP/kayak paddle
Red Paddle Co 12’6″ x 32″ VOYAGER RSS MSL Inflatable SUP
If you want a longboard SUP, then this 12-foot model from Red Paddle Co is a great choice for heavier people.
Extra stability and rigidity makes this board the ideal vessel for long-range outings. Increased thickness and capacity makes the Voyager 12’6″ super-stiff and stable, so it’s perfect for taller, larger paddlers and longer outings in a range of conditions.
Extra length means it can easily handle a child on the front while you paddle, or if you’re going it alone, you can use the 6 point cargo tie-down system at the front and 4 point cargo tie down system at the back to take camping gear with you.
- 330 lbs weight limit
- Includes Double Chamber Red Paddle Co Titan Pump, Red Paddle Co All Terrain Wheeled Backpack,RSS Stiffening Battens, FCS Fin, Waterproof Cell Phone Case, and Repair Kit
- Multiple carry handles ensure that carrying around obstacles is a breeze
Vilano Voyager Inflatable SUP
If you’re on a tight budget and need a cheap iSUP that supports 300 lbs, then look no further than this model from Vilano.
While it’s certainly not the best high weight capacity SUP for the money, it is a decent choice if you can’t afford to spend more than this on your paddle board.
- 300 lbs weight limit
- Affordable low price
- Comes with Pump with Integrated Pressure Gauge, Adjustable Paddle, Removable Fin, Leash, Backpack Carry Bag & Shoulder Strap
Body Glove Mariner Inflatable Stand-Up Paddleboard
A well known brand in water sports, this iSUP from Body Glove is a good option if you’re looking for something with a strong brand behind it.
Though this SUP is designed for fishing, you can still use it for general flatwater paddling.
- 300 lbs weight limit
- Designed by paddling champ and recreational fisherman Luke Hopkins, ideal for fishing enthusiasts
- Features attachment points for rod holders, anchor line guide system, cooler tie-downs, permanent, unbreakable fins and more
- Comes with wheeled backpack, board, pump, repair kit, cell phone dry bag, ankle leash, and 3 piece aluminum paddle that adjusts from 70-85″
Stand Up Paddle Boards For 200 lbs to 300 lbs
If you just need a board that can handle a little extra weight, then this category is a good place for you to look.
ISLE Versa 10’5 Stand Up Paddle Board
This rigid epoxy SUP is a great alternative to inflatables at this weight capacity. It has an affordable price and performs well in most water conditions.
This model offers a generous width and thickness in a classic longboard shape; it’s a one-board solution for paddlers wanting stability and versatility in both flat water and small-to-medium surf. This board is both durable and lightweight, so it’s very easy to transport and maneuver.
- 275 lbs weight limit
- Comes with Traction Pad, Adjustable Carbon Shaft / Plastic Blade Paddle, and Center Fin
- Ideal for paddle board yoga, surfing , fishing, carrying kids and beginner to intermediate skill levels.
Outdoor Tuff SUP OTF-10326SUP Inflatable Paddle Board
Though not one of the more common brands in the industry, this iSUP offers durability and a high weight limit at an affordable cost.
The Outdoor Tuff SUP Inflatable Paddle Board is portable and durable, making it perfect for any water sport enthusiast. Gliding through the water on this board is the perfect way to unwind and take in the scenery. At only 40-pounds, this board is designed to be lightweight and ultra-portable, making it easy to transport and store in the included backpack.
- 275 lbs weight limit
- Includes backpack, removable fin, aluminum paddle that adjusts from 61.5-inches to 80-inches, (5) D-rings and bungee for storage, ankle leash, and repair kit
- The large non-slip pad keeps you comfortable and secure
Pau Hana Oahu Woody Stand Up Paddle Board – 10′
While a bit more expensive that some models, this Pau Hana board is a beauty that performs well in the water and supports heavier people.
A classic nose rider with serious island style, the Pau Hana Oahu Woody stand up paddle board helps keep you above the water instead of in it—and looks great hung up after a day of paddling.
- 263 lbs weight limit
- Epoxy fiberglass sandwich construction is made with bamboo veneer and EPS; board is completely wrapped with 100% wood veneer
- The 5-fin setup allows you to configure the board as a single fin, thruster or quad, giving options for progress and performance
- SeaMount® patented accessory attachment system makes it simple to add cup holders, paddle clips and bungee tie-downs to your board
Pau Hana Malibu Classic Stand Up Paddle Board with Paddle – 10’6″
One of our favorite SUPs for 2019, this Pau Hana model is perfect for those with a little extra weight that needs supported out on the water.
Built for everything from touring to surfing, the 10 ft. 6 in. Pau Hana Malibu Classic stand up paddle board with paddle is ideal for entry-level paddlers looking for a comfortable and durable board.
We love that it’s a highly durable board—at an affordable price—that can withstand taking a beating from paddles, elbows or rocks.
- 249 lbs weight limit
- Vacuum Formed Technology (VFT) and ABS plastic sandwiched around the EPS core makes the board incredibly durable
- Features SeaMount®, an accessory attachment system that makes it really simple to add cup holders, paddle clips and easy-to-thread bungee tie-downs
- Comes with the Malibu adjustable aluminum paddle
Isle Cruiser 10’5 Soft Top Stand Up Paddle Board Review
Another great choice for a short board iSUP for heavier people is this model from Isle. Overall, Isle makes pretty great paddle boards, but this one is the best for people over 200 pounds. The weight limit on this one is a little lower than the Tower Adventurer at just 275 pounds. Still though, it is a good choice for a lot of big guy and girls out there.
Unlike the Tower Adventurer, this board is not an inflatable. It is a rigid board made out of a soft serve foam that is 5-inches thick. So, the stability is almost as good as the Tower iSUP and better than a lot of other SUPs out there. You actually get really good stability in all types of water with this Isle SUP. So, take it out on the river or in the ocean for some small waves.
With this Isle stand up paddle board, you get an adjustable paddle, a carry handle, the removable fin, and a surf leash. So, basically you get everything that you need to immediately hit the water once this thing arrives at your home.
airSUP 12’6″x30″x6″ Inflatable SUP Review
This airSUP board is a good choice if you want a cheap stand up paddle board for heavier people. Unless you’re surfing, the weight limit is 400 pounds. For surfing, it’s only 220 lbs though so you’ll want to get a different board if you wanna surf some waves with your iSUP.
This inflatable SUP comes with a pump, repair kit, fin and carry bag. So, there is no paddle included but that’s okay cause you can buy one for cheap on your own. Overall though, this is a pretty good value iSUP for the money if you are an overweight paddler.
The design of this board makes it perform well in small waves as well as racing. But, it is also a great choice for your just your average flat water cruising – just keep in mind that if you want to take out in the ocean, then you can expect good things from the board when it comes to performance in the water.
Latest posts by Shawna Newman (see all)
- How To Get Tree Sap Out Of Clothes (and Shoes) - July 11, 2019
- Osprey Farpoint 40 Backpack vs. Osprey Porter 46 Backpack (for hiking & travel) - July 3, 2019
- Tips For Camping In The Rain - June 17, 2019